GWO Enhanced First Aid Refresher practical and theoretical training course will review and build on previously gained knowledge and skills from the GWO BST First Aid or to refresh current GWO Enhanced First Aid skills.
The GWO Enhanced First Aid (EFA) and Refresher training standard has been developed in response to the demand for recognisable Enhanced First Aid (EFA) training in the wind industry
The GWO Enhanced First Aid Refresher training course syllabus includes:
- Local legislation/risks/hazards and demands to ensure knowledge of the roles, responsibilities and rules that apply to Enhanced First Aid in remote areas.
- The importance of carrying out basic and enhanced first aid in a safe and sound manner, in accordance with the legislative requirements of their geographical location and according to ILCOR e.g. European Resuscitation Council (ERC) and American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines.
- Identifying and explaining normal function, normal signs and symptoms of serious and minor injuries and illness related to the human body.
- Demonstrating understanding and correct order of management in an emergency situation in a Wind Turbine Generator (WTG) environment.
- Delivering immediate enhanced first aid to stabilise the casualty:
- Stopping life-threatening bleeding
- Establishing and maintaining an airway
- Knowing the indications for and the use of Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Using basic and advanced First Aid equipment in a first aid scenario
- Using standardised methodologies, specifically the Primary and Secondary Survey – based on the “C”-A-B-C-D-E principle
- Assessing the casualty, for injury or acute illness, to determine if medical advice and external to incident support is required:
- Life-threatening bleeding, circulatory disorder
- Impaired consciousness
- Compromised airway, breathing too slow or too fast
- Immediate life-threatening illnesses and other health problems especially with severe pain
- Requesting telemedical consultation and medical/rescue assistance. Providing a concise and relevant report of the casualty’s condition and obtaining medical advice to further stabilise the casualty by using:
- Telemedical consultation through National resources e.g. Coastguard
- Telemedical consultation through private contractor (where established)
- Requesting immediate medical/rescue assistance providing a concise and relevant report of the casualty’s condition
- Preparing the casualty for transfer to nominated evacuation/rescue point, including:
- Immobilisation where required or other non-medical mitigation e.g. cooling gels
- Understanding the complexity and restrictions of medical pain relief and the role of clinical governance in the control of medication
- Accompanying the casualty, if required, to a suitable medical facility and formally hand over the casualty
- Escorting the casualty to the nominated evacuation/rescue point providing continued enhanced first aid
- Acting as a leader in first aid situations
- New technicians to the wind industry can complete the GWO Enhanced First Aid (EFA) training course which consists of Basic First Aid (FA) and Enhanced First Aid (EFA) elements. Two certificates (FA & EFA) will be issued. The GWO Enhanced First Aid module includes all elements of the GWO BST First Aid training. Participants can join the GWO Enhanced First Aid course without prior basic first aid training.
Training certificates are issued online via GWO’s WINDA system and valid for two years.
Our continued growth in the wind sector highlights our commitment and drive to enhance our accredited training offer in accordance with the Global Wind Organisation.
- Safety footwear is required for all practical sessions.
- GWO course participants must have a WINDA ID before they book. If you do not have a WINDA ID please register here.
15% discount – on completion of your training course, you will receive voucher code giving you 15% off your next heightec equipment order online.
For those looking to complete training in all five GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) modules, heightec’s GWO BST Package provides all the the knowledge and skills required for new starters in the wind industry. Includes: GWO Sea Survival, GWO Working at Heights, GWO Manual Handling, GWO Fire Awareness and GWO First Aid.
heightec is an approved Global Wind Organisation (GWO) certified training provider. View our full range of GWO approved training courses here.