GWO Working at Heights with Manual Handling (WAH & MH) training course giving participants both theoretical knowledge and practical experience. This course teaches participants to use basic personal protective equipment and perform safe work at heights and safe and comprehensive basic rescue from heights. Furthermore, to encourage positive manual handling and ergonomic behaviour, encourages participants to consider alternatives to manual handling through planning and to train participants’ ability to perform manual handling tasks in a safe manner in the wind turbine industry and environment.
This course combination is part of the GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) standard.
After successfully completing the GWO BST Working at Heights with Manual Handling training course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazards and risks associated with working at height specific to a wind turbine generator (WTG).
- Demonstrate understanding of current national and regional legislation regarding working at height.
- Demonstrate correct identification of PPE, including identification of European/Global standard markings e.g. harness, helmet, lanyards etc.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills required to correctly perform pre-use inspection, service, store and correctly fit relevant PPE e.g. harness, fall arrest lanyards, guided type fall arresters and work positioning lanyards.
- Demonstrate the correct use of the relevant PPE e.g. harness, fall arrest lanyards, guided type fall arresters and work positioning lanyards. This includes correct identification of anchor points and the correct conduct on ladders.
- Demonstrate correct use of evacuation devices.
- Demonstrate how to approach rescue situations in WTG’s and use rescue equipment efficiently.
- Demonstrate a problem-solving approach to manual handling in a wind turbine environment.
- Demonstrate manual handling risk reduction techniques.
- Identify aspects of their job tasks that could increase their risk of developing muscular/skeletal injuries.
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of carrying out work duties in a safe and sound manner in accordance with the legislative requirements of their geographical work location.
- Demonstrate understanding of safe practices of manual handling including the correct handling of equipment.
The BST Working at Heights with Manual Handling training course includes:
- Legislation and behavioural safety
- Fall prevention
- Vertical fall arrest systems
- Fall arrest lanyards
- Dropped objects
- Self-retracting lifelines
- Control measures to prevent injury during training
- Practical exercises
- Spinal anatomy and posture
- Planning manual handling
- Manual handling techniques
- Emergency procedure
- Workshop: risks and hazards and suspension trauma
- PPE review
- Rescue devices and rigging set up
- Measures to prevent injury during training
- Rescue exercises
Training certificates are issued online via GWO’s WINDA system.
After this, participants will be required to complete the GWO Working at Heights with Manual Handling Refresher (WAHR & MH) training course.
ESSENTIAL – PLEASE NOTE:
- Safety footwear is required for all practical sessions.
- GWO course participants must have a WINDA ID before they book. If you do not have a WINDA ID please register here.
15% discount – on completion of your training course, you will receive voucher code giving you 15% off your next heightec equipment order online.
For those looking to complete training in all five GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) modules, heightec’s GWO BST Package provides all the the knowledge and skills required for new starters in the wind industry. Includes: GWO Sea Survival, GWO Working at Heights with Manual Handling, GWO Fire Awareness and GWO First Aid.
GWO Basic Safety Training Refresher (BSTR) Package is also available to refresh certification in all five GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) modules.