heightec’s GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) package is aimed at personnel who will be working in the offshore wind industry.
On completion participants will possess an awareness of the hazards encountered when working within the wind industry and how to control and mitigate these hazards. Participants will also be equipped with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to appropriately respond in the event of an emergency and to increase their safety through proper use of personal protective equipment, emergency equipment and procedures.
The course combines the following modules, delivered over 5 consecutive days in accordance with GWO standards:
- Working at Heights (WAH) – use basic personal protective equipment, perform safe work at heights and safe, comprehensive basic rescue from heights
- Manual Handling (MH) – perform tasks and activities in the safest possibly way
- Fire Awareness (FAW) – prevent fires, make appropriate judgements when evaluating a fire, manage evacuation of personnel
- First Aid (FA) – administer safe and effective First Aid in the wind turbine industry/WTG environment
- Sea Survival (SS) – to act safely and responsibly, taking correct preventive actions in all aspects of offshore operations from shore to installation vessel/WTG and vice versa both in normal operations and in an offshore wind environment
GWO Basic Safety Training (BST) offshore package enables participants to support and care for themselves and others working in the industry by possessing the knowledge and skills of first aid, working at heights, manual handling, fire awareness and sea survival and in case of an emergency, to be able to evacuate, rescue and provide appropriate first aid to casualties.
The BST Working at Heights with Manual Handling training course includes:
- Legislation and behavioural safety
- Fall prevention
- Vertical fall arrest systems
- Fall arrest lanyards
- Dropped objects
- Self-retracting lifelines
- Control measures to prevent injury during training
- Practical exercises
- Spinal anatomy and posture
- Planning manual handling
- Manual handling techniques
- Emergency procedure
- Workshop: risks and hazards and suspension trauma
- PPE review
- Rescue devices and rigging set up
- Measures to prevent injury during training
- Rescue exercises
The BST Fire Awareness training course includes:
- Fire combustion and fire spread
- Fire extinction
- Fire prevention
- Firefighting equipment in a WTG
- Practice and scenario-based training
The BST First Aid training course includes:
- Management of an incident
- Lifesaving first aid using primary survey “C”-A-B-C
- Secondary survey
- Scenario-based training
The BST Sea Survival training course includes:
- Safety Culture & Legal including legal responsibilities
- Cold water immersion
- Life saving appliances and PPE
- SAR and GMDSS
- Practical Sea Survival
- Safe travel and transfer (theory)
- Installations, vessels and WTG’s
- Transfer Practical
Training certificates are issued online via GWO’s WINDA system. Certificate valid for 2 years. Training should be renewed before the end of the given validity period. A certificate can be renewed up to two months prior to expiry and maintain the original certification date.
Revalidation: Please see GWO Basic Safety Training Package – Refresher (BSTR)
GWO Participants ESSENTIAL – PLEASE NOTE:
- Safety footwear is required for all practical sessions.
- Participants must provide a WINDA ID number at time of booking. Failure to do so will delay GWO certification. Please refer to globalwindsafety.org/register.
- GWO candidates are required to bring a government issued ID (passport or driving license) which will be checked at registration on their course.
It is the participants/bookers responsibility to ensure that all relevant pre-requisites are met to attend this course and that the evidence is provided on the first day of the course e.g. in-date certificates for revalidation courses.
Failure to meet any of these pre-requisites may result in the participant being asked to leave the course. No refund will be given in this event.
15% discount – on completion of your training course you will receive voucher code giving you 15% off your next heightec equipment order online.